Use this free mermaid svg file to make a mermaid essentials beach tote bag! It’s a quick and easy summer diy to make.
It’s time for another monthly freebie and this month is all about mermaids!
We thought it would be fun to use our file on a beach tote, but this mermaid essentials cut file would also look great on a make-up bag, beach towel, on a bathing suit and so much more!
There are also 20 other free cut files at the bottom of the post in addition to our mermaid essentials beach tote file. Scroll all the way down to check them out!
I got the idea in my head that I really wanted to tie dye a tote bag for the beach, because nothing says summer like tie dye to me. I blame it on growing up in the 90’s and making tie dye shirts every summer.
To get more of the subtle tie dye colors I only let the dye sit for a few hours before rinsing it out. If you want more vibrant colors let it sit for at least 8 hours.
I didn’t want the colors competing with the design so I didn’t let the dye sit too long.
Tips to make this mermaid essentials beach tote
What kind of tote bag should you use for this project?
I had an extra cotton tote bag laying around from this project that I used!
You can really use any type of tote that’ll work best for your beach trips or pool days. Just make sure whatever type of bag you get can be used with a heat press!
Need ideas on how to use a heat press on heat sensitive fabric (like polyester)? Click here!
What type of tie dye should you use on a tote bag?
I just used Tulip Tie Dye which you can find at Michaels or on Amazon!
How long do you let tie dye sit on the tote bag?
It really depends on the look you’re going for.
If you want deep and vibrant colors, let your tie dye sit on the fabric for at least 8 hours (I typically do overnight in this case).
If you want more subtle colors, only let the dye sit for a few hours before rinsing it out.
What type of vinyl should you use on a tote bag?
You’ll need heat transfer vinyl to use with your heat press.
My favorite type of heat transfer vinyl is Siser Easyweed, which you can find at Expressions Vinyl!
Like its name suggests, it is very easy to weed and it is the perfect vinyl for beginners.
Troubleshooting vinyl not sticking to a tote bag
What do you do if your heat transfer vinyl won’t stick to your tote bag?
You need to check 3 things:
- Are you getting even pressure with your heat press? If there are seams or zippers on your bag you’ll want to use a pressing pillow to help the heat press get an even press. (learn more about pressing pillows here)
- Do you have the right heat settings on your press? Double check to make sure you’re using the correct press settings (temperature and time)!
- Is your heat press heating properly? You can use a Surface Probe to make sure your heat press is getting as hot as it should be.
Grab 20 free Summer Mermaid cut files!
Every month I team up with a group of amazingly talented crafters to bring you a bundle of free svg cut files! This month’s theme was mermaids and the designs are all so colorful and fun! You can download them all by visiting the blog posts (links are underneath the image!). All svg cut files are free to use for personal use only and don’t forget to tag us on Instagram if you make one of our projects and share it!
DISCLAIMER: Please note that Tamara from Tam’s Sweet Life no longer has an active blog. Her cut file is no longer available, sorry for the inconvenience!
- Tattoo Style Salty Mermaid by Persia Lou
- Print and Cut Mermaids by Amy Robinson
- Seashell Mini Pinata by Studio Xtine
- Mermaid Mode by Polka Dotted Blue Jay
- Mermaid Zipper Pouch by Oh Yay Studio
- Mermaid Scales Banner by Gina C. Creates
- Forever Mermaid Tail by Pen + Posh
- Make a Big Splash by Kayla Makes
- Salty and Sweet Mermaid by Poofy Cheeks Blog
- Mermaid Craft Container by Me and My Inklings
- Mermaid Scales Heart by Liz on Call
- Mermaid Box Cards by The Bearded Housewife
- Vintage Sunset Salty Mermaid by The Walnut Street House
- Mermaid Kisses and Starfish Wishes by Sunshine and Munchkins
- Sparkle Shine Make a Splash by Lettered by Stephanie
Mermaid Vibes Only by Tam’s Sweet Life
- Vitamin Sea Mermaid by Spot of Tea Designs
- Mermaid Essentials by Simply Made Fun
- Free as the Ocean by Tried & True Creative
- Summer Mermaid by Polka Dotted Blue Jay
Other craft projects to make
- 4th of July Firecracker SVG
- Love the Earth Tote Bag
- The Differences Between HTV and Adhesive Vinyl
- How to Put HTV on Shirts
- How to Remove HTV from Shirts